A Natural Park since 1984, the Señorío de Bertiz is maintained practically as it was during the 15th century when it was built, thanks to its last owner, D.Pedro Ciga, who donated it to the government of Navarra on the condition that it should be conserved without changing its characteristics.
Four of the 2040 hectares that form the park belong to the historical Artistic Garden. A small jewel of romantic gardening situated on the banks of the river Bidasoa, in the middle of an impresssive beechwood, its history goes back to when it was designed in 1847 by the French gardener Félix Lambert, although it is Pedro Ciega who finally reformed it.
With over 126 local and exotic species growing among paths and ponds, there are large trees that stand out because of their scarcity and character. Palms, sequoias, cedars, camellias, bamboos, swamp cypresses, liquidámbares… among many others, they create an extraordinary atmosphere aided by the existence of buildings like the pavilion, the fountain at the entrance of the palace, the balcony that looks onto the river or the chapel.